Alfa Romeo 101 Giulia Spider (1963)

Following consultation with our customer the decision was made to fully restore this iconic Alfa and restore it to its former glory.

Work started with stripping down the vehicle and removing components such as doors, boot and bonnet lids, windscreen, lights, interior trim, exhaust, engine and gearbox.

With the engine removed a start was made on stripping, cleaning and sorting engine components ready to be sent for specialist plating and refinishing.

Following the return of vehicle from media blasting an inspection was carried out and the bodywork found to be in need of extensive repairs and panel replacement.

Work was started on replacing the underpinning areas of the car such as floor pans, foot wells, door pillars and sections of the rear chassis.

Whilst body work was being carried out replacement panels were sourced and ordered from Canada and components such as front brake calipers were sent for specialist rebuild.

Corrosion was cut out of areas such as the rear wheel arches (inner and outer), rear boot panel, offside and nearside lower door sections, both lower sills and sections of the boot floor before replacing with either fabricated panels or where available, sourced and supplied parts.

Dry fitting of the exhaust system was also carried out to allow correct positioning and fabrication of the exhaust hangers.

With the suspension arms removed from the vehicle all rust and corrosion was removed, all threads masked up and then application of 2k etch primer, 2k black base coat and then a 2k clear coat carried out.

With the bodywork progressing nicely the overhaul and refurbishment of mechanical items continued to ensure components were fit for purpose and ready to fit as required.

Parts were extensively cleaned and sorted ready to be sent for specialist plating, painting, powder coating or media blasting as required. This included components such as; steering arms, heater matrix, suspension wishbones, rear axle, front hubs, headlamp assemblies, heater box assembly, differential unit, pedal box and front/rear suspension uprights (removing all ball joints).

Dashboard gauges were stripped and inspected before being carefully packaged ready to be sent for specialist overhaul.

Having had brake drums and discs media blasted these were cleaned and send for specialist skimming. Upon return the brake drums were prepped, primed and painted to achieve the desired finish.

Window regulators were stripped and all components cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner before being washed and prepped ready for rebuilding.

The steering column switch assembly was stripped down and the column itself cleaned, all paint removed, column prepped, primed and then painted. Indicator switch was found to have a slight crack and therefore required repairing.

Centre bearing on vehicle prop shaft was checked and found to be noisy and therefore in need of replacement flange, woodruff keys, spring and dust cover were removed allowing access to remove the bearing.

Upon inspection of cables such as the speedo, tacho, choke and handbrake these were deemed as being in need of replacement. Cables were documented and sent for specialist overhaul and repair.

On completion of specialised metalwork repairs, it was necessary to check alignment of all panels, vehicle body and structure metalwork repairs now completed.

The support frame for the boot had several areas of corrosion so a new frame has been rolled and welded in as required.

A new boot skin was also required and has been handmade, rolled and fitted to the frame. The doors had lift in the hinges, we have sent them away and had new pins made to stop the door dropping.

As the levelling of the panels has continued we have been dry fitting panels, chrome trims, door catches as we go with some modifications as required. All boot, bonnet and doors are starting to open and close correctly.

Other areas of dry fitting have included rear lights, bumpers and boot catch.

The body has been put on a rotating spit to enable the complete underside of the car to be seam sealed and made ready for stone chip coating and painting. Underside wheel arches and sill areas have also been included as these will be sprayed in body colour.

Due to all of the body of this car being sprayed in body colour we have spent longer preparing the exposed areas, behind the door hinges, the closing panels and the metal dashboard, under wheel arches and engine bay to achieve a show finish

The underside of the vehicle was completed and now ready for painting, the vehicle was moved into the oven where it was masked up to enable the painting of the underneath and all inner wheel arches. The stone chipping was applied followed by the chosen body colour of Alfa Romeo Blue Celeste. Once the drying process was completed the vehicle was moved out of the oven for the body preparation to continue.

The decision was made to have a radio unit fitted, the existing aperture within the dash board was very poorly finished so we fabricated a repair plate which was fitted and then filled and the dashboard levelled, the glove box lid was fitted, aligned and levelled.

With the majority of the repair work now complete, we continued with the dry fitting and alignment of the front and rear lights, we then continued with applying the filler and levelling product around the vehicle including the necessary areas under the bonnet and interior. The majority of the vehicle has now been levelled and shaping completed.